This course provides the student with knowledge of the securities market, the various types of investment securities (stocks, bonds, options, futures, tax-advantaged investments, mutual funds, etc.) and the risk-return characteristics of each. The course focuses on the principles and tools of investment analysis, asset allocation, portfolio selection and management. The course also provides the student with information on investments: the features of each type of investment, the advantages and disadvantages of each investment category, when a particular investment type might be suitable for you, and what investment types are available to you.
• Understand investor objectives, security markets, and security transactions.
• Learn the sources of investment information.
• Understand the appraisal of risk and return.
• Become familiar with financial analysis, tax-deferred savings plans, investment
• strategies, and retirement accounts.
• Understand the investment selection process, as well as basic investment terms.
• Chapter 1: Getting Started as an Investor
• Chapter 2: Financial Markets and Investment Process
• Chapter 3: Return and Risk
• Chapter 4: Fundamental Analysis
• Chapter 5: Technical Analysis
• Chapter 6: Common Stocks and Preferred Stocks
• Chapter 7: How Much Are You Willing to Pay for a Common Stock?
• Chapter 8: Fixed Income Securities
• Chapter 9: Investing in Options
• Chapter 10: Future Contracts
• Chapter 11: Global Investing
• Chapter 12: Tax Advantaged Investments
• Chapter 13: Mutual Funds
• Chapter 14: Diversification, Portfolio Constriction, and Asset
Please see the state requirements section on the course catalog page.
This course has been approved for 16 hours.
The student will be required to pass the final exam with a 70% in order to receive course credit.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to print their certificate online.
ABOUT THE SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT:
Dr. Jae K. Shim is Professor of Business at California State University, Long Beach,
California. Dr. Shim received his MBA and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California at Berkeley (Haas School of Business.) He has co-authored over 50 professional business books and has been a consultant to commercial and nonprofit organizations for over 30 years.