Analysis and Uses of Financial Statements is a primer for financial statement analysis. This course is designed specifically for interested parties who must understand how to read, interpret, and analyze financial statements. This course describes in clear, concise, and understandable language, the intricacies of financial statements and their use by investors, creditors, analysts, auditors, and other interested parties.
This course can enhance a student’s chance for success in business and investing by enabling them to profit from the knowledge, insights, and perceptions of professionals who use financial statement analysis tools and techniques on a day-to-day basis. Realistic examples and illustrations of financial statement analysis are widely used in this course to make the subject matter crystal clear.
• Understand the objectives of a financial statement.
• Become familiar with the accounting principles used in compiling financial statements.
• Learn the qualitative characteristics of data that appear on financial statements.
• Understand the major aspects of a financial statement including: horizontal and vertical analysis, common-size statements, ratio analysis, liquidity and activity ratios, profitability ratios, capital structure and solvency ratios, market test ratios, and cash flow ratios.
• Chapter 1: Objectives of Financial Statement Analysis and Financial Reporting
• Chapter 2: Accounting Assumptions, Principles, Procedures, and Policies
• Chapter 3: Understanding Financial Statements
• Chapter 4: An Overview of Financial Statement Analysis
• Chapter 5: Analysis of Liquidity and Activity
• Chapter 6: Analysis of Solvency and Capital Structure
• Chapter 7: Profitability Analysis
• Chapter 8: Market Strength and Overall Evaluation
• Chapter 9: Analysis of Cash Flows
• Chapter 10: Interim Statements and Segment Analysis
Please see the state requirements section on the course catalog page.
This course has been approved for 20 hours.
The student will be required to pass the final exam with a 70% in order to receive course credit.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to print their certificate online.
ABOUT THE SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT:
Dr. Jae K. Shim is Professor of Business at California State University, Long Beach,
California. Dr. Shim received his MBA and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California at Berkeley (Haas School of Business.) He has co-authored over 50 professional business books and has been a consultant to commercial and nonprofit organizations for over 30 years.